Theory to Practice
- Readers are aware that information makes sense and that it is getting stored in memory. This is an important metacognitive reading skill.
Research: “Activating Children’s Metacognitive Reading Processes.”
- Jane Offutt conducted a double-blind study comparing ACCOMPLISH READING’S innovative methods to traditional reading training methods.
- The ACCOMPLISH READING group did significantly better on measures of comprehension monitoring.
- The ACCOMPLISH READING group also did significantly better on a standardized test of reading comprehension compared to the control group
- “Successful student readers intuitively monitor their comprehension. However, some who struggle with reading either might not recognize a breakdown in their comprehension or else might not know how to fix it when it does occur.”
- Furthermore, “it is not effective to merely tell students to monitor their reading comprehension. Rather, students need to be taught how to monitor their comprehension. This requires explicit instruction with sufficient modeling and guided practice. ” (Except from Iris Center – https://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu)
Learn more at Jane Offutt’s LinkedIn profile:
ACCOMPLISH READING downloads to Apple and Android Mobile Tablets as well as Chromebook.
Click on link Downloads.
Ideal for the family mobile tablet, the classroom tablet or Chromebook.